Oh friends, how I’ve missed you. What’s been happening in your world over the course of the last week? I just got back from the most wonderful, relaxing vacation with family and the little monsters, and have spent the last few days reminding myself that the vacation is, in fact, actually over.
Cue the quick and easy dinner. Because literally I have nothing left in the freezer and I have not been able to motivate myself to grind out my usual fixins. If you can identify, then I have the perfect dinner for you. This pasta is good hot or cold, with whatever you have on hand. It makes a great picnic pasta salad, or in my case, an accompaniment to salad for dinner. Add chicken or shrimp if you like, or keep it vegetarian like we do. Omit the cheese for a vegan option. It’s totally fab and easily adaptable. The spices in it make it sauceless (so super low in calories) but still delicious, with a little kick.
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 large red tomato, diced (Romas are my fave)
- 1 bunch of arugula, coarsely shredded
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or butter
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 handful shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tsp Penzey’s Spice Muskego Ave Seasoning (Buy it here, or combine black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon peel to your liking)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 lb. pasta of your choice
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Warm EVOO or melt butter over medium high, add in onions and fresh garlic.
- Toss in arugula and stir till wilted, reducing heat to low.
- Add pasta, tomatoes, and parmesan. Top with seasoning and lemon juice, tossing to coat.
And…you’re done! This was so delicious and absolutely refreshing. I actually just chop the entire red onion and an additional tomato, then add those to my salad with some parm, the same spices, and more lemon juice. That combination has literally let us cut out salad dressing and just enjoy the flavors of some super tasty veggies and herbs.
I’m working (slowly, but still working) on writing my notes from the awesome, stress-free vacation we had (with all four kids, no less), so that will be coming pretty soon… For now, I hope you’re enjoying the beautiful fall weather and having tasty dinners with your peeps.