In case you haven’t noticed, we love anything wrapped in tortillas around here. And…we also love Asian food. So tonight’s dinner is loaded with clean protein and super-foods that are still delicious and kid-friendly. The only downside is the edamame. I HATE shelling edamame. It is seriously the worst. But I digress.
I was inspired by these organic burritos they used to carry at Target. I was working for Target at the time, and could count on this little $2.39 organic asian burrito to get me through the days when I forgot my lunch. But…I don’t work there anymore. And this particular burrito is not carried at my Target. So I had to make one up at home instead. And honestly, doing the rundown, these cost about $0.89 a piece, so I’ll basically never eat the Target one again anyway. This made a whole mess of burritos- 5 for dinner tonight and 5 for the freezer. (The brown rice packs a ton of fiber, and the edamame and chicken pack lots of protein, so everybody fills up on less.) I’ll probably only send 1 of these in the hubs’ lunchbox with a salad on the side tomorrow. I’m keeping this one short and sweet- got Blue Moons and The Departed tonight with my fella 🙂
Here you go:
- 1 cup organic brown basmati rice (I get mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 6 oz. pkg. organic portabello mushrooms (I get mine at Publix)
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 2 T butter
- 2 cups shredded chicken (find my make-ahead crockpot chicken recipe here.)
- 1/2 cup raw edamame, shelled
- 1/4 cup Tamari organic, low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 T local organic honey
- 1 tsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. sriracha sauce
- Cook rice according to instructions and set aside.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, melt butter over high heat and add mushrooms and onion. Saute for 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin producing liquid, and remove from pan to a plate. (Or a bowl. Or whatever. Just get them outta the pan and leave some of the drippings for what’s next.
- In the same pan, add chicken and edamame, toss in drippings from mushrooms and onions. Add soy sauce, wine, ginger, honey, sriracha and garlic. Raise heat to high and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until your sauce is reduced down by half.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and add your mushrooms/onions mixture back to the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread a layer of cooked rice over the center of each tortilla, followed by a layer of your chicken/edamame/mushroom mixture. Fold ends in and roll up into burritos.
- Line burritos along baking dish and bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- While burritos are baking, mix sour cream and remaining 1 tsp of sriracha. Drizzle over cooked burritos or serve as dipping sauce.
And that’s it. Totally delicious. You can up the sriracha or leave it out, and you can add other fun stuff like cabbage slaw, carrots and broccoli, or whatever else gets your taste buds going 🙂 We like these as is- and they are even better left over! Enjoy!